Monday, May 2, 2011

Kashmiri Dal

Few days back we were in Montreal for the long weekend, it was a fun holiday getaway! As we were exploring the streets of Old Montreal we came across an Indian Kashmiri Restaurant and I suddenly started feeling hungry, my taste-buds were all so excited and I couldn't wait to get in :)  We ordered for this 'Kashmiri dal' along with Chicken Kadai and some naans. As soon as I took the first bite it was like I was in heaven! Then and there I had decided that as soon as I return back to Toronto I have to make this dal, and I did!  Though I didn't know the ingredients but I could guess what was in it and when I made it,  it turned out almost the same :)
The recipe is really easy to follow. Hope you guys find it easy and sumptuous too :)

Kashmir Restaurant
I was so happy to see that Halal sign :)
Kashmiri Dal
Ingredients :
Half cup Masoor dal
1 small sized onion - finely sliced
Half tsp cumin seeds
Half tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
Half tsp turmeric powder
Half tsp red chilli powder
2 finely chopped green chillies
A few sprigs of finely chopped coriander leaves
Butter - 1 tbsp
2 tbsp fried onions for garnish
Salt to taste

Method :
In a non-stick pan heat 2 tbsp oil with butter on medium heat. Fry the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and the onions until light brown and then add the ginger garlic and turmeric powder. Brown the ginger garlic paste and then add red chilli powder, green chillies and the masoor dal. Fry for another 5 minutes , then add 1 cup of water to it. Cover and cook until the oil starts to separate.
Garnish with coriander leaves and fried onions. It's now ready to serve!

6 comments:

  1. delicious dal curry looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks healthy and delicious dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good. I'd never even had a lentil curry until a few years ago, and now it's one of my favourite meals. I'm going to have to try this version. Great blog btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUmm it goods great i usually make the same dal with tomaotes and /or dill leaves . (hyderabadi masoor dhadi dal ) simple and yumm !! ill try ur style also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes... there a lot of variations that can be tried with this dal !

    ReplyDelete